a way to work in pajamas....

There are ways and ways. Becoming a virtual assistant (or a VA) is one of them. Don't be fooled by the term assistant! It's no joke! It requires hard work. - a tremendous amount of back-breaking, mind-boggling, stomach-churning work. Sometimes I ask myself - "should I just go back to the corporate world?".

I could. But that would mean giving up my dream - of a simpler life, with lots of moments for pause and reflection, and a job that allows me to "go to work in my pajamas".


Tuesday, February 22, 2011

the problem with pajamas

By this time you already know I'm all gaga about pajamas-at-work.  I can give you a litany of the perks.  I've probably done that already.  But like everything else, working in pajamas - or working at home - has it's downside.  maybe i shouldn't call it 'downside'.  Let's be more positive and call it 'upside'.  (how creative!!!)

So, let me start over - the upside of 'working in pajamas' is that you have to police yourself.  You don't need to be in your cubicle at a certain time.  You don't have a boss who will check on your work all the time.  You have no officemates to egg you on when you don't feel like working.  You're on your own.

On your own, it's so very easy to slip into the no-schedules habit.  You go about your day with no plan, no end in mind.  You simply coast along, not knowing whether you are on target or not.  You keep yourself busy without being aware if you spent more time clearing your closet than actually working.  And then you cram.

The challenge of working from home, on your own, in your pajamas is - going about your day as if you have an 8-5 job.  Yes, 8-5.  You should have the normal 8 hours of work, with an hour of lunch break thrown in.  Unless it's absolutely necessary to work extra.  By necessary, I mean, you have more work to do.  Not because you dilly-dallied for days - then work yourself crazy to keep up with a project.

Just remember - you may be in your pajamas but you're still at work.  It's only a matter of geography.  And just like any other job, you need to produce results. Or you'll find yourself  RETIRED - in your pajamas.

No comments:

Post a Comment